Monday, February 25, 2008

How Legit is the Curier Industry?

I hope your travels are going well. I just got back from a trip to Los Angeles. I followed my own advice and did the AirTranU fare for a last minute little trip. Everything went VERY smoothly, however, let me warn you, AirTran does not have TV's on their flights from Atlanta to LAX. It was probably the longest 5 hours of my life. Miserable. Anyway...

I started talking to the man sitting next to me on the airplane and we started chatting about traveling (duh... it is kind of all I talk about). Well, he told me about something I have never heard of before. He said in college, he spent a summer being a courier. I had no idea what the guy was talking about, but he informed me that companies sometimes need things shipped immediately, both domestically and internationally. Rather than paying UPS or FedEx ridiculous amounts of money, they hire couriers to fly their goods for them. Couriers usually trade a free (or EXTREMELY cheap) ticket for their luggage space. When he told me this, I was completely FREAKED out. I was convinced he was discretely asking me to be a drug trafficer or something. However, when I got home, I checked out a courier website he told me about and it seems pretty legit.

I am in no way advocating this as the right way to travel, but I am curious about it and am wondering if anyone has any more information to share.

I will keep researching, too, and keep you all updated if I find out anything more.

No comments: